Everyone told me when I had child number two that I would be more relaxed than with my first. To some extent they were right; I was not so worried about the non-existent routine, I relaxed more when I was feeding her and I was certainly more confident travelling out and about. But one thing that I ensured stayed the same and that was “baby-proofing” the house.
Imagine my horror then, when my precious little bundle badly burnt her back on our bathroom radiator. It was one of those lovely new shiny silver ones. It had had been pretty cold for several weeks so I had the heating on quite a lot. Like many I really enjoyed bath times and we always hung a lovely fluffy towel to warm up for when she got out the bath.
And that’s when it happened – I tried to wrap her up, she pulled away in fun and her whole body leant against the radiator. It was just a few seconds, but by then the damage had been done. I had no idea a burn that bad could be delivered that quickly. We spent the next three weeks of sleepless nights as the burn healed followed by weeks of itching.
But what could I have done differently other than have the radiator at a temperature that did not burn you so easily and BUT how could I tell that.
So I started investigating how this could be prevented from happening in the future both to my daughter and other children too. I could not find a way to control each radiator unless we had individual thermostatically controlled valves in each room and even then I could not be sure that the temperature was not too high.
Instead I found some little stickers that changed to purple when the item was too hot using thermo chromic technology (colour changing ink) but these were very small and the colour change was very slight.
I then stumbled across a medical report that noted that the skin of babies and children burns on contact at a much lower temperature than adults – 43 degrees instead of 47 degrees for adults. The existing product on the market only operated at the higher temperature and to make matters worse they were attached by glue that left a nasty black mark on whatever item it was attached to meaning they could also not be re-positioned easily.
The report also noted that it was metal objects in the home that did the most consistent damage to young skin and that’s when it dawned on me. If metal objects were the culprit then surely a magnetic attachment would work. Using the existing colour changing technology if I could find a way to combine the two – then bingo!
I found a great UK-based manufacturer who was willing to help and also most importantly was prepared to work with me on a much lower ink temperature than previously existed. And so RadAlert was born.
Using magnetic strips that change from a discrete black to a bright red when the contact skin burn temperature is reached means that you can now tell when your metal radiators could be a danger. Or in our house we use it as a check that all the strips stay black.
I would love it if every house that has metal radiators could carry a strip on each one and note to themselves and to their children that when red shows – it’s too hot to touch.
Since we launched RadAlert there has been phenomenal interest in the product and we are now manufacturing strips half the length to be used on the sides of metal kettles and toasters for example. We have also kept the cost really low so that everyone can start protecting those they care about quickly and easily.
I am so excited that this simple idea will help stop others going through the pain and discomfort Millie did”
To read more about RadAlert and the story behind it go to www.radlaert-ltd.co.uk or
email email@example.com. Find us on Facebook too www.facebook.com/radlaert4u