«

»

Sep 06

Help children’s safety – spreading the word is so vital

A 2 year old boy climbed onto the kitchen table where there was a bag full of shopping and managed to take out an open a bottle of oven cleaner ( which had a child safety cap`!) –  before swallowing the liquid.

The little boy was rushed to hospital with internal injuries and may now need a oesophagus transplant after suffering extreme burns.

“I feel distraught. I know I made a mistake leaving the shopping bags in the kitchen but I still cannot understand how a child aged just two managed to open the bottle.”  The toddlers grandmother commented

Of course, these caps aren’t “child-proof”. If they were completely child-proof, they may be adult-proof too – particularly for people with arthritis or less strength in their hands. They’re “child-resistant”, which means that some toddlers may well be able to open them.  In fact, one in seven children under 51 months may be able to open a cap – and it could still be classified as “child-resistant”.

If parents and carers knew the facts, of course they’d behave differently, and tragedies like last week’s would be avoided. That’s why your help in spreading the word is so vital.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>